5.25.2011

The knitting is still hush hush.

Instead I will share a few tales from my kitchen. My dad's birthday was yesterday and I invited my parents over for dinner. The birthday guy's request? Spaghetti & Meatballs, Chocolate Cream Pie - I swear, my dad is the easiest guy to please sometimes. I broke out my Bittman bible and made a batch of meatballs. I am not Italian, but I feel like a stereotypical Italian grandma when I make that recipe! Also in Bittman was a recipe for Cream Pie, variation Chocolate. Perfect. The recipe did involve separating several eggs, not my favorite kitchen task, but I remembered that I had a special gift. Have you ever seen a Boogerboy Boris? My uncle sent one back with my parents for the Lorax and me when they visited him a while back.

First thought? My goodness this is GROSS! (I've been allergy attacked this past week, thank you pollen!) Second thought? Holy chickens it actually works! I ended up with a dessert that looked like Chocolate Cream Pie, tasted like Chocolate Cream Pie, and my dad was happy, so, success! I also made a batch of peanut butter cup bars - fair warning, make these if you are having company over to help you eat them! I am sure to eat more than my fair share of these - they are excellent! Even Dan, who likes a peanut butter cup now and then but isn't wild about them like I am, commented on how good they are! And easy - a bit of stovetop work and then into the fridge! That's a lot of exclamation points. I mean each and every one.

The weather seems to have taken a turn for the better (thank goodness!) and I currently have Popsicles on the brain - there are so many cute molds! I had two sets of the basic shape, but one cracked, so I am looking into getting something new. Maybe ice cream cones or stars. The Lorax has found a love of popsicles as well, so I am hoping to have more success in making our own instead of buying them, especially now that we are on the cusp of fruit season here.

Back to the knitting, the deadline is near!!

3 comments:

WifeMomKnitter said...

That is so cool!

sara said...

Yeah. Little gross for my tastes...but it it works and there is a small child around....

sara said...

oh! PS: Happy Birthday to your dad!

Give Life, Donate Blood