4.10.2009

Inseperable

Way back when, I bought yarn from Ruby Sapphire Yarn's etsy shop. They had so many great colorways that had people names - I had to have "Bekka" (my name, different spelling), "Kathy" (mom) and then I spotted "Hope" - my Nana's name. Fantastic shades of maroon / burgandy / pink - totally colors Nana would wear. I even ordered a custom shade, "Donald" (Grampa's name), in shades of blues-greys almost stormy ocean. Grampa was in the Navy and loved to sail.

Nana & Grampa were soulmates like no other couple I've ever seen. When Grampa passed away unexpectedly I thought I would make Nana a Chevron Scarf, sort of a memory scarf / you're always together. It took longer than I expected and sadly, Nana passed away before I finished. (Still can't believe she's been gone for 2 years, and Grampa's been gone 4. sigh.)

Hope & Donald Scarf (in progress)

So it has become MY "keep 'em with you scarf" and I have knit on it for the last 2.5 - 3 years. I have knit on it while sitting with my mom at the hospital when my dad has gone for procedures. I knit on this scarf when I was in labor. I knit on this scarf while attending Rhinebeck with knitting friends (and I messed up and it got a touch of good juju from the Yarn Harlot). The scarf means a lot to me.

And finally, it's done. Last weekend, I cast off. Unblocked I can loop it around my neck and the ends still reach to my elbows. Appropriately in a strange way it was finished on the anniversary of Nana's passing.

I recently received my copy of Cookie A's Sock Innovation - what a fantastic book! I took it to a local copy shop and had them put on a spiral binding. I’m working on Glynis the Hope colorway. I think the colorway may be too busy for the pattern (it may be too early to tell for sure) but I’m sticking with it. I liked the description in the book about the “real-life” Glynis, and that reminded me of my Nana. She, a non-swimmer / non-beach person, spent 9 months on a sailboat with my grandfather back in 1993 - it was his lifelong dream and she stuck it out - but I remember the look in her eyes when we would hang out too close to the side of the boat! I plan to make the legs a little shorter as I am not sure how much I used in the Chevron Scarf, but the skeins were generous to begin with (550 yds!) I am considering an afterthought heel (it would be my first) and definitely a different colored toe (using what else - the Donald colorway).
Glynis-in-progress

1.2 repeats in

These yarns have to be knit together. Hope + Donald = True Love Forever!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the story of the scarf. So sweet. Made me misty.

Sonia said...

So thoughtful and sentimental. I'm happy it's finished and you can enjoy wearing it.

Anonymous said...

I think that your finishing on Nana's anniversary was a sign from her saying that you did good.

What a great story.

Happy Easter, Becca to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Lovely scarf, what a treasure. And seriously gorgeous colourways. Those socks are going to be beautiful too :) I love the look of Sock Innovations too- no one local to me is carrying it yet, but I can't wait!

theatreknitter said...

Okay, now THAT was news that you should have passed on yesterday. IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I can't wait to see it in person. I have seen this scarf from the beginning, and it has been such a beautiful scarf all along. When packing for the hospital for L's arrival "Yup, I am bringing hope and donald along with me for knitting"

I can't wait to see it done and blocked!

Sarah said...

Absolutely beautiful - both the scarf and the story behind it. What lovely memories to have knitted into something.

Give Life, Donate Blood