7.23.2009

It could be worse

I tried to make my own fruit leather / fruit roll-ups the other day when it was really rainy. Lorelai was fighting a cold, so I plopped her on the couch with Sesame Street and juice.
IMG_8226

I chopped up my fruits (apple, plum, nectarine)
IMG_8227
IMG_8228
IMG_8229

1 piece of each fruit, chopped up, yielded me 2 cups of fruit puree. So far so good.

I spread it out on the pan + parchment paper:
IMG_8231
It's a bit chunky. It smelled good though. Fruity.

Popped it in the oven, 175 degrees, 3 hours, just like Super Baby Food told me too.

I took it out of the oven and tried to flip it over to dry the bottom part that was still... damp.
IMG_8239

Whoops. Maybe the puree was too chunky? Maybe the house was too humid? Maybe it's just not that easy to make fruit leather? I'll stick with buying my fruitabu. (Don't get me wrong, I still love the Super Baby Food book - most of what Lorelai ate when she started solids was mentored by that book. Some of the recipes though, well, it's no Mark Bittman.)

It's not quite a Fail Food, or a craft fail, but it borders on Handmade Gone Wrong

1 comment:

theatreknitter said...

i was wondering what that was.

Give Life, Donate Blood