3.07.2010

What My Child Is Reading

I've been thinking I really should be better about keeping track of certain things - like how much time some of my knitting projects actually take me, the funny things Lorelai says now that she's starting to make full sentences and recall and expressions, and what she's reading. I loved to read as a kid, and I still do (Have I got a book for you, but that's another post). I've been adding books to Goodreads - I made a specific "Read-with-Lorelai" shelf and that seems to be a start. I am very excited that she seems to be really getting back into books - when we visit the library we are now taking out a huge stack at a time - like 12 - 15 books! Some are sought out, some are duds. I'm always on the lookout for new ones and new things to do with them. I'm looking forward to getting a lot out of Memetales and Mouse Grows Mouse Learns - maybe if you know a few kiddos you'll get some ideas as well.




In heavy rotation for the last week or so, we have the following.
Richard Scarry's Best First Book - I gave Lorelai a simple Richard Scarry book at Christmas and she kept talking about Huckle, the cat. I remember having one or two of these sorts of books - there are so many things to look at in the illustrations and I think it is good for word building (yes, I realize she can't read yet, but there's opportunity to practice our letter recognition. Pre-reading skills.)

Where is the Green Sheep? - we have read this enough times Lorelai can recite it on her own. It's a cute little rhyming story about the sheep doing all sorts of things (except that green sheep.)

A Pocket for Corduroy - I enjoy Corduroy, but not this particular tale. It's ok.

The Sleepy Little Alphabet - we bought our own copy of this after taking it out from the library - very cute story about the letters having to go to bed. Not annoying with the rhymes and the illustrations are fun. Two thumbs up!

Once Upon a Potty - another one Lorelai can recite. We're working on potty training and for a 2+ year old it's going ok. I'm getting tired of reading this one though. Need to find a new bathroom book.

Olivia - this one I like a lot, the story is simple (and non rhyming! That seems to be a novelty around here). I think the story is still over Lorelai's head for comprehension, but she has sat through it a few times.

2 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining this week! I enjoy meeting new blogs and bloggers. A lot of your books were or still are our favorites, and I agree with you - The Sleepy Little Alphabet is gorgeous. One potty book that my daughter really enjoyed was "A Potty for Me" by Karen Katz. She still pulls it from the shelf and reads occasionally.

Cloudberry said...

My youngest likes Olivia too ;) They send the animated versions on tv here. And I love your shrugs. I might have o take a closer look at that pattern.

Give Life, Donate Blood