3.15.2010

What My Child Is Reading

I'm sitting next to another stack of books from the library. And what is my child reading? She's going back to the books that are ours, not on loan. Figures. :) I get a lot of ideas on what to try next from No Time For Flashcards and Totally Tots - so far many of the suggestions have been hits!



One Duck Stuck is a great counting book that starts out with one duck getting stuck in the muck, and an assortment of animal friends come to try and help the duck get unstuck. Cute, rhyming, great noise words. I like the variety of animals too. This is a fun read.

Itsy Bitsy Spider - one of the first song / finger-plays that Lorelai did on her own, this book goes further along - what else did that spider try? I picked up this book for Lorelai at Rhinebeck / NY Sheep and Wool last fall and met the author!

Night Cars - a gift from Daddy, he heard about it on NPR (I think) and we had to actually wait a while for it to arrive. Not a rhyming book per se, but told in a more poetic style. It has taken me a few reads to get used to that. It's a cute story about a dad and baby and ends with a "Coffee Break" - one of Lorelai's favorite things!

Tell Me the Time - a present from Aunt Betsy - this book takes the reader through each time of the day and each page ends with a question to the child. Lorelai has started getting very interactive with this book and I love hearing her answers to the questions - sometimes she just says what she sees on the page, sometimes she has something else to say!

The Very Busy Spider - in keeping with the spider theme, this is back in heavy rotation. Beautiful illustrations, excellent animals, and it's Eric Carle - what's not to love?

1 comment:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining this week! You had a lot of great reads. Tell Me Time looks very interesting for us since we are focusing somewhat on math - I'll make sure to look for it in the library.

Give Life, Donate Blood