1.20.2011

Things I Can't Stop Thinking About

(a.k.a. Brain Dump)
1. Pinterest - my newest online obsession. It's a "social catalog to collect and share things you love" - so when you are blog surfing or catalog shopping and you come across a picture / color combo / project / whatever that you love and adore you "Pin it" to your pinboard. So much better for me than trying to keep track of bookmarks or even pages torn out of magazines. You can request an invite (or let me know your email I can invite you). No big surprise I am nutmegknitter on there as well and you can see the things I have pinned.

2. Single space or double space after a period? I was taught in typing class and college to have the double space following a period. After reading this article and finding out that the double space is wrong it is really messing with my head. I tend to write my blog without too much editing - it is how I talk / how I think / and it's not being graded, so why should this bother me? I have no idea but I am trying to break the habit. (It's hard!)

3. Thing-A-Day. I think I already have the hang of doing something creative each day, but this sort of challenge really intrigues me. Thanks to pinterest, I can see that I already have a handful of projects that would pretty much be ready to go. Many of them are likely to be one afternoon type projects, so it could work. I am trying to decide if I want to just be generally creative and better at documenting those creative acts for the thing-a-day (then I could fall back on a variety of projects: I could knit / crochet / cook / take a picture / etc) or if I want to narrow the focus: one week on photography / crochet / cooking / sewing? Decisions. No matter what it is way more fun than dedicating 30 minutes a day to cleaning or decluttering (which also needs doing. That is probably a whole other challenge.)

4 comments:

Virginia said...

SINGLE SPACERS UNITE!

I too thought double spaces after periods was the way to go all through high school and college. Then, on my very first day at my very first magazine job, I turned in a story with double spaces and was laughed out of my editor's office. And then the copy editor's office. Lesson. Learned.

And maybe because I was surrounded by single spaces at work all day, it actually didn't take very long at all to break the habit. Double spaces look impossibly wrong and awkward to me now. They leave big gaping holes in text! (Sorry, English teachers everywhere...)

PS. Pinterest rocks. Hopelessly addicted. As you well know. ;)

alh said...

I'm also newly obsessed with Pinterest and that double space thing has been bugging me for a while. I still mostly do it it, but sometimes I take it out when it looks funny!

justmeandtwo said...

Thanks for sharing the link about the double space after a period. I worked eight years for a publishing company and it saved pages in each book/journal we printed. Take out that one space and save trees. ;) Now I have an article to support my obsessive need to edit co-workers text and delete the extra.

justmeandtwo said...

Thanks for sharing the link about the double space after a period. I worked eight years for a publishing company and it saved pages in each book/journal we printed. Take out that one space and save trees. ;) Now I have an article to support my obsessive need to edit co-workers text and delete the extra.

Give Life, Donate Blood