2.03.2011

Embracing Imperfection (or Not).

I've been working on a baby blanket, the babysquared pattern in particular, designed and shared by WifeMomKnitter. Last night I noticed that over the last 30 rows or so I had messed up the pattern. It was all my fault - I was decreasing at the wrong spot. I took a close look at the blanket and thought hard.

The pattern is a scallop-lace style in a rainbow-striping yarn. The mistakes were sort of hidden in a darker part of the rainbow. The mom-to-be is a non-knitter, would she even notice? For two or three rows I thought it over - the blanket would not be cast aside for such a silly reason (I hope), the baby is not going to mind (I hope - though maybe it will help with pattern recognition later on in life? That's thinking it over too much!) - and decided to leave it. But then, I no longer saw the pretty scallop-lace pattern and the lovely rainbow stripes! My eye went straight to the mistakes. Rrrrrrriiiiiiiiipppppppppppppp. I was able to insert a lifeline and that was a huge help. This pattern is quite enjoyable to knit, so I do not mind having to redo a section. After I got going again I noticed something else, do you see it?
photo.JPG
One side of the blanket has a 5 stitch border, the other side has a 7 stitch border. Again, all user error. At least I'm consistent and that error bothers me less.

For today's thing-a-day, since I am working on re-doing some of the blanket, I'm going to share someone else's creative endeavors, go check out the Attention!Employees blog, especially today's post - you will see someone I work with.
And a little silly story: A few weeks back the Lorax and I went to visit Dan at work. We said hello to a few people, checked out where his cube is, etc. After we went out to eat. In the car on the way to eat, the Lorax piped up "Mommy, that was fun to see Daddy's work. Tomorrow Mommy can we see where you work?" Ummmm, my work is currently in the kitchen and great room and bathrooms - you're there every day!! :)

2 comments:

Sunflowerfairy said...

The Boy once asked me what I do to make money. He knows Dadd goes to work to make money, he knows Mommy is at home, but he can't figure out how I get money. I tell him Daddy shares his money with everyone in the house.

He thought for a minute and said, "You should have a job. And not just looking at Jamie all day."

I wish.

Unknown said...

I too am consistant with my knitting errors...LOL, its still frustrating, I say it just adds character..=)

Give Life, Donate Blood