9.07.2011

Yarn Along - Sept 7

From small things ~
Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading? Take a photo and share it either on your blog or on Flickr.
Yarn Along - Sept 7
I have finally finished Moby Duck. Sigh. I think I wanted more from this book, but it is hard to say exactly what. My educational background is in the environmental sciences and I like oceanography, but the material presented here was a bit dense and not always well explained. I felt it was overly wordy and frequently wished I was reading this on my kindle so that I could look up the definitions of the SAT-style words sprinkled through-out. The book could have benefited from illustrations or photographs. Sleep deprivation may also be a factor here but I really did not understand the need for a literary analysis of "Moby Dick" & fatherhood that was presented at the end.

I am very excited to be able to move on to some new reading material on the kindle. I have started The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - I'm 8% in (Dear Kindle, I really wish you would tell me the page number!) and it is very engaging already - I hope this continues through the book!

I have one plus just about one more hexipuff done, and the first Fuzzy Stripe flitten is ready to move the thumb stitches aside, so that's just about 50% done. I've also been able to get a few rows going on the "Rhinebeck2011" hat that my SnB is doing - it's fabulous!!

I am the sort of person who does well with structure and routine. I am very good at following the rules, until I get comfortable enough to bend them a bit (rarely do I actually break them - I am a goodie two shoes thru and thru). This week the Lorax starts her "school" so that forces a routine on our week and I am happy for it. Today was the first day and when I returned home I still had to mind the lil'nutmeg and Jackson, but I was able to get a few rows of knitting in, YAY! We're getting there!
Here's the Lorax on her first day of school:
IMG_2620
I totally lied to her and told her I wasn't taking her picture to get this shot. You wouldn't know it from her expression, but she was excited to go and I think she had a good time, though she doesn't have too much to say about it.

The rest look like some blurry version of this:
IMG_2621

Nate was ready though maybe a bit bored!
IMG_2622

3 comments:

Tonya Gunn said...

What a sweet baby....

karen said...

Well at least you know you have read 8%!! I can't wait to hear what you think about the book,I have seen it but have not bought or picked it up yet.

Emily said...

Oh gosh -- she really does look none too thrilled! :)

Give Life, Donate Blood