4.04.2007

When it rains...it pours

As if today wasn't already off to a crappy start. My Nana passed away.

That's an old picture, but really the only one I could find - our house warming party, summer 2005 - back when she was starting to loose her hair from chemo...look at how tiny Jackson was (9 or 12 weeks, maybe!)

She hadn't been doing well for a while. We all knew this. And she stopped the chemo treatments around Christmas. We all knew this. I'm glad she doesn't have to deal with the side effects and not feeling well and all that cancer crap. I'm glad she will be with Grampa again. But it still sucks. We were close. I respect her so much, even with her quirks about leaving appliances on and how much she worried. She was a role model for me - strong, stubborn, independent Irish-American gal. She read, she cooked, she got herself into the digital age (she was on email and netflixed with the best of them!) and was not afraid to have fun or let Grampa talk her into doing something silly.

Services won't be until next week. Nana is a "sponsor" of our Ireland trip - she made it possible, so we're still planning to go. It will be bittersweet. I feel bad about not being there for the services, but I think she would want us to go.

This seems to be the nutmegknitter's blog of doom lately.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your grandmother passed.

Marina said...

::: hugs ::: Sorry about your grandmother. She sounds like a great role model. Yes, you should go on with the trip.

Grenadine Girl said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Think of her lots while your travelling, that's what she would want for you. You'll never forget that trip and you'll never forget her.

-from a former nutmegger who misses Connecticut and her grandparents who lived there.

Grenadine Girl

Anonymous said...

Becca,
I am so sorry to hear about your nana, I know how much she has meant to you. I know your trip will be wonderful.
b

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.
You're right to go on the trip still - if she helped make it possible it's the bast way to honour her.

livnletlrn said...

I can't think of a better way to celebrate your Nana's life than to enjoy your trip, as it was important enough to her that she chose to help you get there. My own Gram is 87 now and I often think how lucky we are to have had her in our lives for so long. Your Nana sounds like a similarly strong and fabulous woman.

Susan said...

My sympathy to you on the passing of your grandmother. I think that you are right to continue on your trip. Perhaps you could write something to be read at her services so that you would be there in spirit.

My brother missed his godmother's services in February because he had trouble getting a flight home. Ultimately, it was decided that it was more important that he'd come home last fall and spent time with her than that he be at the funeral. It's difficult in times like this to put things in perspective, but that might be another way to do it.

Disentangled said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma...I give you and your family my sympathies.

Heide said...

Oh Becca, I'm so sorry.

theatreknitter said...

if you check this in ireland, you will see my new blog. I HAVE ONE!!!!!! (guess who is getting her new camera today). I know there are so many things on your mind right now, but know that this trip is going to be a wonderful time for you and Dan to enjoy eachother, and to know the love you have for eachother always. whatever comes your way, you two will always have that.

Gretchen said...

I'm sorry. It sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

Jae said...

I am so sorry.

Laura said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is not an easy thing to handle. I wish you well.
Blessings, ~*~

Unknown said...

Oh Becca, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing! But I hope you have an awesome time in Ireland. May your memories of her bring comfort to you and your family.

Pam
(who will be writing squeeful thanks in another comment elsewhere)

dragon knitter said...

while i'm sorry for your loss, i'm sure nana is much happier, now. and you're right, she would want you to go on that trip. erin gae bragh! enjoy the irish s&b (wonder what that would come up in gaelic? oh babblefish!)

knitseashore said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. It sounds like she was a very special lady, and I am sure she was proud of you and would want you to take the trip.

I hope things get better soon. It sounds like your job has gotten really rough.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Nana - she looks like a lively gal. I'm sure you will miss her. Hope your Ireland trip is sweet!

Give Life, Donate Blood