12.17.2009

Squeezing In.

I've got a handful of knitting projects that are on a holiday deadline, who doesn't? I'm still changing my mind on a project or two that are not yet cast on (hat? fingerless mitts? cowl? hat? scarf? cowl? cozy?). Silly knitter. I took a break this week though to work on a crafty challenge - The Things We Make and Modge Podge Rocks Handmade Holiday Ornament Contest (Entries are due today, 12/17!). I had a few ideas floating around for a while, but after a visit with my folks this week, inspiration struck when I went through a bag my mom sent home with me.
Not this bag:
IMG_9151
that's full of yarn, lots of acrylic, but that's ok.

Nope, there was a different bag with random Christmas stuff - ornaments I made when I was in 4th grade, books for the Lorax, lights and a box (marked "Becca's Music, Please Save") full of cassette tapes! Tapes? I don't have a tape player in my house or in my car. What am I supposed to do with that. Huh, wonder if I could knit the tape? It's sort of like a ribbon or tape yarn.

Yes, yes you can. I knit i-cord with it - tried to stay loose, and it worked! Although I'm not sure what else I might do with it - it's shiny and brown. Not very festive - but I made the most of it - turned it into a nest - and a few other found items around the house, pipecleaners and some chicks.
Handmade Ornament 2009

Handmade Ornament 2009
Close up - one chick is has a santa-ish hat, and the other has a reindeer headpiece.
The silver trees and garland were the centerpieces at my wedding!

Handmade Ornament 2009
It's now hanging in the tree!

This was a nice little crafty diversion - back to the knitting!

2 comments:

sara said...

Awww! Cute!

Valerie C. said...

I love the adorable Easter chicks in their festive Christmas outfits! Great use of the recycled and sooooo cute, too!
Merry Christmas!

Give Life, Donate Blood