8.17.2010

Bookish

I spotted this meme on two blogs and I just couldn't resist. Plus my brain is sort of in a fog and funk right now and this seemed like a good idea at the time.
1. Favorite childhood book?
Is it possible to pick one? I was a huge fan of the whole "Little House" series, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, just about anything by Judy Blume, Bunnicula, Ramona & Beezus, Roll of Thunder Hear my cry, and Agatha Christie mysteries

2. What are you reading right now?
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I think I have a few knitting / crochet books on request that I wanted to see.

4. Bad book habit?
I've gotten better with my books but as a kid, I would crack spines and dog ear the pages.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
A pile of books for the Lorax: Ladybug Girl at the Beach, Hug Time, Is There Really a Human Race?, Muncha Muncha Muncha, Where are You Blue Kangaroo, No More Kissing, Wiggle, and one for me: Sweater Design in Plain English

6. Do you have an e-reader?
I have a Kindle2

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
While I might have ADHD with my knitting, I like to enjoy one book at a time.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Not really, as the blog was started for knitting. I have occasionally reviewed books on the blog though.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
I have gotten rather sick and tired of a few of the Lorax's books, and I didn't love the last Twilight book.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
I really loved The Art of Racing in the Rain. And Eat, Pray, Love.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Now that school is all done and I get to choose my own books, never!

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I like a good story - that could be in anything I guess.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Sure.

14. Favorite place to read?
On the beach.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
Fairly lenient - I've never been burned on this, so I will lend stuff out.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
I used to when I was younger, but I don't anymore.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Not so much

18. Not even with text books?
Nope.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English.

20. What makes you love a book?
Good story, good quotes, something that makes me think from a different point of view or interesting concepts where I can learn something new.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I can't stop thinking about what I read or I can relate to it.

22. Favorite genre?
Mystery, memoirs

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
History

24.Favorite biography?
Rachel Carson's

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Sure.

26. Favorite cookbook?
How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman (referred to around here as the Bittman bible)

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I really enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love.

28. Favorite reading snack?
Mike & Ikes / Jellybeans

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Harry Potter? I've seen the movies and while I'm sure the books are better, I have no interest to read them (maybe when the Lorax is old enough we can read them together)

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't read too many book reviews, I don't care what the critics say.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I'm honest - if I didn't like what I read, why would I say otherwise?

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Italian

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
I have never thought of a book as intimidating, though in high school Shakespeare was probably just that. By the time I got to college and had to read it, something "clicked" and it was fine.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Can't think of one.

35. Favorite Poet?
Shel Siverstein

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
With the Lorax, 5 - 10.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
A handful - there's just not enough time - I'm working on knitting and reading on the kindle - sometimes it works.

38. Favorite fictional character?
the Pigeon (by Mo Willems), Miss Marple, Ramona,

39. Favorite fictional villain?
Dracula

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Something light and fluffy - stephen king, chick lit a la Jodi Picoult or Jennifer Weiner

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Hard to say - several weeks?

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
I totally gave up on the Lord of the Rings, Profiles in Courage, The Killer Angels

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
My toddler. but not much else. Jackson barking.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Each time, the book was better, but maybe The Princess Bride?

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I'm not sure... so many times, the book was better.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Buying college textbooks easily ran up a few hundred dollars. Non college stuff could also be $100 or so buying gifts.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I'll flip through a book at the bookstore, but that's all. I'll skim / skip boring pages (Stephen King, I'm looking at you!)

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Life.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
There is a mild organization going on in my shelves now, but it's quite fluid.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I like to keep my books, but I've been thinning the shelves lately - books I'm not going to read again, books I didn't love can move out to someone elses house.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
No.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
The last twilight book

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
I'm blanking...If i think I'm not going to like it, I generally don't bother unless I hear from others that it's worth the effort.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Best Friends Forever (Jennifer Weiner)

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Knitting books? Cookbooks? Isn't it supposed to be guilty pleasures?

No comments:

Give Life, Donate Blood