3.11.2013

StitchFix Experiment

(this post has nothing to do with knitting!)
I have been thinking about my wardrobe quite a bit lately.  I am getting annoyed with much of it. I am tired of everything in my closet.  There is a lot that doesn't fit, since I have had my kids and as I work from home, I haven't needed to update much of it.  I have picked up a few things here and there, but I know I am not always the most fashionable and, honestly, I don't really like clothes shopping. It takes more time and effort than I am willing to put in and in the end usually costs more than I want.  When I heard about StitchFix, I had to give it a shot.


StitchFix is an online service where you answer several style preference and sizing questions. There is a $20 service fee for StitchFix to gather a box of 5 options for you of a variety of pieces. Once you receive the box you have 3 days to try on the items and decide if you want to keep them or send them back (and the $20 is credited toward your purchase).  My first box arrived today (a day earlier than expected) and it proved to be quite interesting.  What did I get? 2 shirts, 2 tanks and a pair of earrings.  What's going back? Everything except one of the tanks. 
These were items I would never pick out on my own. Each of the clothing items comes with a little "How to style this" card - suggestions to pair it with a skirt or jeans or whatever.  That's really helpful! The earrings are very cute but between my hair and little grabby kids, I avoid the dangles.  The green tank I thought did nothing for me - this one I was least impressed with.  The longer sleeved shirt had a cute print on it (cars, nuts and bolts) but I wasn't crazy about the material.  I felt like those first two and the green chiffony shirt were more maternity style! So yeah, I am passing on those. I like comfort, but not the billowy-loose stuff. It has taken me years to get comfortable with clothing that fits!  The grey tank with the leaves down the front I liked right away - comfortable fabric, I thought it looked ok when it was on as well.  The price was not outrageous - maybe a bit more than I would usually spend, but not out of range of say, the Gap or J.Crew. 

Will I request another StitchFix? Yes - I liked the element of surprise in having someone else select items for me. I did fill out their survey to provide my feedback on each of the pieces, so I hope that future boxes would have more items I love.  You can sign up for a monthly box or as you need "a fix".  If you think you might give it a try, here's a link (and yes, if you sign up and get a box, I'll get a credit.)

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Ooh, I am so interested to try this! (Once I'm done with maternity clothes, anyway... right now I'm just happy to find things that fit!) I totally agree with your pick -- the blousy stuff is harder to style and not always practical, plus you look GREAT in more fitted tops!

Very interested to see what you get in the next batch...

Give Life, Donate Blood