8.06.2007

Knitting Celebrity - Yarn Harlot

On Friday, I went to RJ Julia's to hear The Yarn Harlot speak - I almost can't begin to describe how excited I was to get out and go to this event! I get a little giddy when it comes to celebrity. Plus this was a knitting event, so even that much better!

I arrived at the bookstore around 5:45 and found a group of knitters in the room camped out and knitting, so I plopped down with them and waited. They started to set up the chairs maybe 30 minutes later and it filled up quick. The speaking did start on time and Stephanie talked for over an hour. She is a wonderful speaker - engaging, encouraging and empowering even - I think there needs to be a poster made for all knitters to spread the word about CHOKE (the Cultural Humiliation of Knitters Everywhere)

Speech?
She had the chart for part of the Mystery Stole / Shawl in with the pages of her speech.

Yarn Harlot begins
Taking an audience picture with the current sock.

Kinneared the shusher
The lady on the far right (you can see her elbow) turned around, tapped me on the knee and shushed me. I was telling the woman next to me (in entirely appropriate tones) about the Blue Moon bank fiasco, because she didn't know about it. So I Kinneared her

Yarn, What yarn?
Advice for what to say when people see your stash - "Gee that's a lot of yarn!" then you say, "Yarn? What yarn? These are my kitttens!"

Good Sock Juju
She was so great to meet when she signed my book. I gave her one of my flickr moo cards - we quickly chatted about the fruit hat on the back, and she held my sock next to the travelling one (good juju there!) and she commented on my "Knit or Go Home" bag - awesome awesome night!

I almost went to Madison wool after, but decided to save it for a day this week. Plus I'm going up to the Farmhouse Yarn sale next week and will probably go to the yarn barn after I go to the snb this afternoon.

I got to meet some people that I've met online, gave out a bunch of the moo cards (and got one too!) - hello Jen and Barbara and Debbie & Leah and Cristina and Kimberly and Heather.

Made for a great start to the weekend. I did finish two Tomato hats which need to be wrapped up and sent out to the new babies, Charlie & Brayden.
Tomato Hats

6 comments:

AmyArtisan said...

Sounds like you had a fun time (even with shushing going on) - I enjoyed her visit to Chicago in April.

Lilith Parker said...

I wish I'd met you! My friends and I got there late because of miscommunication and bad directions, but we heard the second half of the talk from our hiding place by the back door.

Hunny said...

I saw that lady hush you and it made me laugh! But I didn't know that you kinneared her!! Good for you!! It was a good time and it was nice to meet you.

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

It was fun meeting you too! And I wish you hung out with us afterwards. We visited Madison Wool and had dinner afterwards at Village Pizza. Maybe next time!
=:8

Ina said...

Sounds like you had a grand time. Excellent riposte to the shusher (whose elbow should be tingling)!

Anonymous said...

So jealous! I missed the Harlot due to work. Glad you had such a great time!

Give Life, Donate Blood