4.27.2010

An Inspirational Pattern - Day Two



Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acquired, or just because it seems like a huge undertaking of time and dedication, most people feel they still have something to aspire to in their craft. If you don’t feel like you have any left of the mountain of learning yet to climb, say so!

I think that every new pattern / project you start is inspirational - at the beginning, before you make any mistakes, before you realize you do understand short rows or cables or charts, before you get to a knot in the yarn, before any of that, I find I am so excited about a project. I can do it! I can do it!

As I puzzled over this post I thought about my previous projects that I aspired to. Cables have always awed me. A huge project for me was "Shedir" (Ravelry link) - I loved the cables, I loved the story behind it and most importantly I loved the person I was making it for - my Nana who at the time was going through chemo treatments. It took a lot of time and attention and I did it, one stitch at a time. It was beautiful - Nana loved it.
Knitty's Shedir

Lace is usually a show stopper, and usually make me hesitate. Again, one stitch at a time and eventually - Ta-dah! You've got your project!
IMG_8162
"Ishbel" (Ravelry link)
Wearing the handknits!
"Bat Shawl" (Ravelry Link)

I think what I most aspire to is to be a better knitter. Certainly there are techniques that intimidate me - steeking for one. And each year there are more and more beautiful patterns from which to choose. I might sit and lust over sock patterns by Yarnissima or Cookie A.. The Bridgewater shawl (Ravelry link) is a dream project. A new blanket. A new sweater or two that fit and I wear frequently. I want to crochet in the worst way possible - those amigurumi characters are so adorable (dachshund, stacking toy, Foamies, Happy day mobile) The pause in those plans often comes not from lack of time or ability, but from having the right yarn for the project!! I'm getting better at learning how much is needed for each type of project, and that solid colors tend to show off some details a lot better than the variegateds!

One stitch at a time... just keep knitting, just keep knitting... :)
TAGGING CODE: knitcroblo2

No comments:

Give Life, Donate Blood