So it is Wednesday, a day for Yarn Along, and pretty much all I am reading this past week is Lorelai's books and the blogs. My attention span is quite possibly the lowest it has ever been - actually what I have been "reading" the most is to keep my computer next to me while I knit and I can keep an eye on the Ravelry Radar. I started a new project as well - a very long-term project, without any sort of goal at this point in time, and no specific deadline - this is a selfish project for me, The Beekeeper's Quilt. When I first saw it on Ravelry I thought it was cute and clever - especially because it uses sock yarn leftovers! I have a basket full of sock leftovers and sock minis that have made their way into my stash either through trades or swaps or whatever.
I decided to ignore the fact that I am already working on a blanket (the Neon Nightmare) for me and just recognize that I could not stop thinking about this project. I have a lot of sock scraps, I am expecting a new baby any day now and between that and my 3.5 yr old daughter I think I need to have a more portable project for snuggling / waiting in the car / etc, just to keep the knitting going. I've been at it for about a week, and my word, these are addictive little buggers to work up. I can't quite tell if it the addictiveness is due to being able to make a hexipuff in ~45minutes (more or less depending on the amount of distractions going on), the thrill of getting to see the different color changes in the sock yarns work up, or the ease of having such a portable project.
I think I have about 11 done in the last week. For now I'm just keeping them in a clear glass vase on the mantle. I have also been going back through the sock scraps and pulling out some for my own use, some for trade / swap. It is a lot of fun to work with some familiar yarns again, and I look forward to swaps and trades to get exposure to new-to-me-yarns as well.
I am going for a very scrappy look, though I can see how easy it would be to get ultra obsessed and create a picture / pattern with these. The estimates for size run from ~1000 hexipuffs for a bed-size blanket to several hundred for a lapghan / baby size. Right now I'm not sure where I will end up. For now this is a great project and I'm loving it!