10.21.2007

Halloweenie-fest ready!

Even though the astronaut costume didn't work out, I did manage to finish the zebra sweater for Jackson. Apologies to Steven Pastis - author of my current favorite comic, Pearls Before Swine. I especially love the crocodiles - the males speak in this "barely articulate" manner, and greet their zebra neighbors with a great "Hullooo Zeeeba Nay-bah!". (Hey it's almost Rhode Island (see the culture entry)) That gets said a lot around this house. So, Jackson's Halloween Costume for 2008 is dubbed the "Zeeba Sweatah".

Zebra profile

Hungry Zebra

The design came from the "Dashing Dogwear" booklet "Created for Leisure Arts by House of White Birches". I used Red Heart and Caron Simply Soft. Jackson has a chest measurement of 18.5 inches, so modifications were needed. I worked between the chest sizes 16 inches and 24 inches. I cast on 71 stitches, worked 18 rows before the leg openings, worked to row 30 before casting on the other side of the legs, worked to row 42 and placed markers. Then I followed the chart for the back shaping for the small size. Didn't add ribbing at the leg openings. I'm quite pleased on the whole.

We're off to the town dog parade and dachshund rescue Halloweenie festival... more later!

10 comments:

Manda said...

That is too cute!! I love Pearls Before Swine, too. :) Cute Zeeba. :D

Ina said...

What a fabulous costume - MUCH better than the astronaut duds.

monica said...

That costume is great! Jackson looks so spiffy.

theatreknitter said...

of course he looks great, Jackson is always the best dressed for halloween.

Paula said...

That is just too cute ! I love it!

I am going through the doggie blog roll and will post the halloween costumes in a few on the Dogs on Thursday site!

Donna said...

Super costume. He looks very dignified. have fun.

Beth said...

I always whine because most doggie sweater patterns out there won't fit the big dogs but now I see you even have to modify for the little dogs too! Looks great!

Vivian said...

This is incredibly cute! Congratulations on winning the Dogs on Thursday costume contest! Jackson must be so proud :-)

YawnOver said...

Awww...Halloweenie :) Too cute! Great costume.

Unknown said...

So darned adorable! Happy DOT!

Give Life, Donate Blood