5.23.2010

Trust me, it's a sock.

This weekend was spent celebrating a "Housewarmthday" party for my brother & sister-in-law - they have a new house and big birthdays - and hosted a fantastic party. I was gifted a rare treat of time to myself - the Lorax stayed behind for quality time with Dad - and I got to relax, eat, drink and be merry without chasing down a toddler. The weather outside was gorgeous! I brought my knitting along and was able to get in some knitting - I think I gave several comedians there some new material by my knitting in public, but whatever. It's what I enjoy and luckily for me my brother and sister-in-law have no problem with me whipping out the needles in their backyard.

I am currently test knitting a sock for JL Yarnworks
Test Knit
Looking at it this way makes me think it's a doll or something - I promise, in the next day or so, you'll see it in it's sock-y cuteness. I'm working up the toddler size and it is going to be really cute.

I did get gauge (10 stitches / inch on US0!) and I'm using Malabrigo Sock Yarn in the colorway "cote d'azure" - it's a great dark ink blue. I have fingers crossed that I can get the Lorax to wear the sock with a really cute navy / white dress she has yet to wear. Anyway, love the color, but I do need to be sure that I have really good light to see those stitches!

Pretty Stitches
There is half of the heel flap - I don't know if it has a particular name, but it involves a four row repeat and I love the texture it creates in the fabric.

I also brought another project to work on at the party, being prepared for assorted levels of light, conversation, alcohol intake (no toddler for me to watch over!) but wouldn't you know it? I only worked on the sock - the other project (red yarn, DK weight, on US7 needles) I messed up on multiple times - the stitch count, the increases, the cast on. I actually took scissors to it and had a do-over. On the whole, not bad for knitting in public.

2 comments:

sara said...

That heel flap looks like an eye of partridge heel. Very pretty.

Virginia said...

I LOVE that you knit at my party!! Just sorry I didn't get a chance to come study this in person because it looks so pretty! xoxo

Give Life, Donate Blood