5.06.2010

What a Yarn!



There’s one love that we all share: yarn. Blog about a particular yarn you have used in the past or own in your stash, or perhaps one that you covet from afar. If it is a yarn you have used you could show the project that you used it for, perhaps writing a mini ‘review’. Perhaps, instead, you pine for the feel of the almost mythical qiviut? You could explore and research the raw material and manufacturing process if you were feeling investigative.

Yarn. I've got a whole closet full of it. And several drawers of a dresser. And a few bags scattered around the house. I have lusted after yarn. Yarn has taunted me. And yet, when I try to think about one particular yarn, my brain immediately says, "Well, it depends on the project!". True enough. I'd prefer to look at this on a project by project basis.

Baby stuff - Right now I'm really loving Berroco Comfort - it's an acrylic / nylon blend, but oh so soft to knit with. Great colors, great value, and I love that it comes in several weights. Also, machine washable? Perfect. I used this yarn to make a Tiger Stamped hat by Kate Oates
Paw1
I live in UCONN territory, so for me, this hat is all about "Husky Love".

Socks My sock mojo has been hibernating for a while. I am working on a sample sock for Lorna's Laces using their Shepherd Sock (a superwash merino / nylon blend) in a top-secret colorway and I think I can feel my sock mojo returning. I have used this yarn once before to make my Neon Socks (Rav link) back in 2006 and I am proud to say that I still have and wear them! It's a great yarn, great colors and wears extremely well. Did you Vote for the new Lorna's Laces yarn line? And while you're on their blog, read up on the new colorway that Ysolda (yes, Ysolda!) helped envision!

Sweaters There are so many great choices for this, but in a heartbeat I would tell you to go invest in some Cascade 220. It's a worsted weight, workhorse wool yarn. Shows cables wonderfully. I fell in love with this yarn making my Central Park Hoodie. It was wonderful to knit with, is warm but not heavy or itchy. It is piling a little bit under the arms, but I wear it a lot and I am not gentle with it either.

Hats I think I would go with the Cascade 220 here as well. Maybe Brown Sheep. I've made a bunch of hats (I group baby hats with baby stuff, so here I'm talking about grown up hats) and don't feel particularly attached. I think it's because you really can use just about anything to make a hat and the end result will still usually (if you've knit it correctly) keep your head warm. Not a big investment of time or money (and if you did, I think it would be a bit foolish. One exception. The Shedir I blogged about earlier. That took a long time. Cables.)

Scarves / Cowls Yarn is an important choice here. You want something soft and warm but don't want to sweat or be eating bits of fiber fluff. I've made Dan a scarf out of Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande and man does that stuff call out to me whenever I see it. So soft. It's time I had a scarf of my own made with that yarn.

Lace I don't do a whole lot with lace, but I am looking forward to working with the lace I picked up at the CT Sheep and Wool festival from Mocha's fiber Connections and the lovely skein of MadelineTosh laceweight (a yarn that taunted me for weeks!).

I think that covers the basic areas that I knit. I will also tell you that in doing sample knitting for some yarn companies, and sometimes designers, I am incredibly lucky to get to try out new yarns before the general public. I just finished a wee item for Schaefer Yarn Company in a yarn that was so fabulous to work with I wish I could share some with each knitter I meet. And that new color from Lorna's Laces? You're going to love it!



TAGGING CODE: knitcroblo7

No comments:

Give Life, Donate Blood