12.09.2008

A Musical Distraction

(In a knitting nutshell: I've started a DreamSwatch Head Wrap - it's cute, probably I'll keep it. I've started an earflap hat with some rediscovered yarn I got at a Farmhouse Yarn Sale. I'm about to start that black cable hat that was on the Chum the other day, in some other yarn. Dan offered to me that I could go out knitting tomorrow and thursday! I may go to the Yarn Basket on Wednesday...Links and photos and such later.)

If you're at a holiday party and need some "small talk" or conversation starters, ask people what their LEAST favorite holiday songs are :) Or their favorite, but I've found it makes good conversation. Here are my lists:

Ten Favorite Holiday Songs - Beware, earwoms!
1. The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole (only this version! I heard a version by Toni Braxton yesterday and couldn't stand it! I love everything Nat King Cole sings)
2. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Barenaked Ladies & Sarah McLachlan
3. Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy - Bing Crosby & David Bowie
4. Blue Christmas - Elvis
5. Do They Know it's Christmas? - BandAid
6. Carol of the Bells
7. I Wonder as I Wander - Joan Baez (My dad used to always play this record, Noel, when we decorated the tree. I actually liked most of it. This is the soundtrack of my childhood Christmases - this and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.)
8. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
9. Happy Xmas (War is Over) - Plastic Ono Band
10. Christmas is All Around (ok, it's from "Love, Actually", but it's cute)
And there has to be #11 The Charlie Brown Christmas and #12 Muppet's Christmas

Ten Least Favorite Holiday Songs - Beware, bigger earworms!
1. Dominic the Donkey
2. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
3. Jingle Bell Rock
4. Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
5. Santa Baby
6. Christmas Don't Be Late (The Chipmunk Song)
7. Mariah Carey Christmas Songs
8. All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth
9. Twelve Days of Christmas (the version where kids are whining and the lights are blinking and all that.)
10. Frosty the Snowman (just not a huge fan of this one... it's more tolerable than the others here).

What would you add / change?

2 comments:

Becca said...

I could DEFINITELY do without Santa Baby...

The Twelve Pains of Christmas...that just makes me laugh, and you KNOW how much I love Christmas. It's the guy with the lights...he kills me.

Dominic the Donkey - NEEDS TO GO! Ron LOVES that song and I cannot stand it! Watch...Patrick will love it!

Anonymous said...

I hate that "Grandma got ran over by a reindeer" song more than anything!

Give Life, Donate Blood